Writing and then reading through dozens of pages to check whether you’ve made typos, grammar issues, or sentence structure mistakes is draining, to say the very least.
But it doesn’t have to be if you outsource the work to professionals. That’s exactly what proofreading services exist for.
That being said, there’s a world of differences between shady individuals who will charge you $5 for a day’s worth of content rummaging and a professional company that charges $30 per 1,000 words.
To help you avoid the former and overpaying, I wanted to make a list of the best proofreading services for your convenience, so without any further ado, let’s dive into the reviews.
What Are The Best Proofreading Services?
Proofed is one of the most popular proofreading services for a multitude of reasons. First of all, they boast a roster comprised of hundreds of top-tier content experts that excel at not only proofreading but also editing and reformatting.
This online service can be distinguished from contemporary alternatives by its unique approach to its clients. Essentially, you will be prompted to select a profile that you think best describes you (e.g. business, student, author, and such); depending on your choice, Proofed experts will approach your order differently, ensuring that the best word choices are made while removing any and all grammar mistakes in your file.
This platform also offers content editing services, allowing you to leverage the vast knowledge of Proofed professionals to optimize your content’s tone, structure, and clarity.
When it comes to formatting, Proofed’s services enable you to add headers, footers, and cover pages to your content, generate captions for all graphics (charts and tables), and ensure that the best fonts are used throughout the file.
You can also reformat your content to MS Word, Google Docs, PDF, MS Powerpoint, plain text, MS Excel, Keynote, and more.
- Proofreading, editing, and formatting services
- Supports up to 250,000-word orders
- Supports Microsoft Word, PDF, LaTeX, Microsoft Powerpoint, Google Docs, Plain Text, Microsoft Excel, and several other formats
- Configurable delivery time
- On-page instant quote calculator and Drag & Drop file quote calculator
Proofed services start at $30 for proofreading, followed by an additional $15 for editing and $10 for formatting for basic orders (default word count and deadline).
- 750 professionals work around the clock to keep the clients satisfied.
- Proofed is a dependable, professional proofreading service that also offers editing and formatting services.
- They are on the more expensive side
Who Is This For?
Proofed’s versatility, extremely competent staff, and flexible pricing options are some of the many reasons why I recommend this proofreading service to everyone seeking quality. Regardless of whether you’re a student or a business owner, this company has what it takes to cater to your needs.
PaperTrue is a premium online proofreading service covering a broad range of content categories.
Similar to Proofed, PaperTrue approaches its proofreading assignments based on the type of content they are working on, providing custom-tailored services. Whether it be proofreading dissertations, research papers, manuscripts, books, scripts, business reports, or CVs, PaperTrue does it, and more.
What makes PaperTrue different from your average proofreading service is how meticulously the company approaches quality control. After the initial proofreading tasks are done, several professionals are assigned to double-check for any grammar mistakes, typos, and quality-related issues.
The process is completely streamlined. You can upload your document on the website via its built-in Drag & Drop editor, after which PaperTrue will assign the job to an editor best suited for the task.
The company’s experts will then proofread the entire document and edit small chunks of content that require some improvement. After that, a senior editor will review the initial works and conduct a quality check. After the document is done, you’ll be able to easily download it and use it immediately.
- Custom proofreading and editing depending on the client type
- Academic, business, author, and job application proofreading services
- A streamlined delivery process
- Offers special proofreading services for resumes, CVs, cover letters, annual business reports, and legal documents
- Document Drag & Drop interface
PaperTrue’s pricing model encompasses different costs for different client “profiles”. Its services are grouped into four categories, including Authors, Academic, Job Applicants, and Business. Other factors that influence the final price include the editing deadline and word count.
- Several people are working on any given task, as opposed to the majority of proofreading services that assign a single editor to each proofreading project.
- Consistent, predictable results, which serve as a reassurance that you’ll get quality work every time you engage PaperTrue for your proofreading & editing needs.
- There isn’t an option for lightning-fast delivery like Proofed offers
Who Is This For?
PaperTrue is ideal for people that don’t fully trust proofreading services and tend to double-check their documents themselves. If you want to be completely sure that your papers are thoroughly examined and professionally edited, I recommend choosing PaperTrue.
Wordy is an innovative proofreading and editing platform that enables users to create a custom “House Style”, which is a set of rules and guidelines meant to promote consistent, uniform quality and tone of the content.
Wordy has employed hundreds of professional proofreaders and editors that can wade through hundreds of words’ worth of content in mere hours. While speed is certainly an important element of what makes Wordy better than average, the quality of its staff has earned it one of the top spots among the best proofreading services on the web.
Multiple users can be connected to one Wordy account, allowing you to extend the benefits this platform offers to your team, coworkers, or family members.
Additionally, Wordy supports a range of popular file formats, including Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint, LaTeX, Google Docs, PDF, and more.
- Proofreading and editing services
- Rewriting option
- Custom House-style option (configurable custom defaults and settings)
- Supports multiple user accounts
- Covers 56 subject fields
- Supports 11 popular file formats
Wordy offers three pricing options, including Standard at $0.039 per word; Express at $0.052 per word, and a custom Enterprise package.
- Set up multiple user accounts
- Configure a custom house style
- Have your content rewritten
- Benefit from the money-back guarantee even if you choose the Standard pricing method
- While Wordy is among the cheaper online proofreading services, it should be noted that there is a minimum price on all orders. For instance, the minimum price for Standard proofreading services is $9.75 while the minimum for Express proofreading services is $13.
Who Is This For?
While Wordy is great for everyone, I mainly recommend this service to people that want to essentially “partner” with a company for long-term proofreading tasks. The “House Style” option is really a game-changer that allows its clients to set a tone that Wordy’s experts will follow for all future orders.
Proofers is a UK-based company that offers a range of premium services. It may be on the pricier side, but Proofers has some of the most experienced veterans in its fold, offering professional results with consistency.
From academic proofreading, over copy editing, to paraphrasing and plagiarism-checking services, Proofers presents a full package to people that want to ensure their documents are the best they can possibly be.
Similar to other services I’ve listed so far, Proofers’ professionals decide how to approach every project based on the needs of each client. With years of experience in the field, these pros work faster and are able to pinpoint problematic sentences, grammar issues, and typos with surgical accuracy.
- Business and academic proofreading
- Copy editing
- Plagiarism checker
- Paraphrasing services
- Document reformatting
Proofers’ pricing starts at £6.99 per 1,000 words however there is a £12 order minimum. The factors that influence the final price include but may not be limited to the selected deadline, word count, plagiarism check, and formatting.
- Additional services such as plagiarism checker
- Three different turnaround options (standard, express, superfast)
- Both academic and business proofreading options
- There is a minimum spend
- The additional add-ons can start to get pricey
Who Is This For?
Proofers has ensured its clients can perfect their documents and content, not just proofread them. I recommend this proofreading service to people that want to rewrite, edit, upgrade, and plagiarism-proof their documents.
Scribbr offers rapid turnaround times and proofreading services of exemplary quality.
One of the main reasons why this company is so well-liked is that it made proofreading services easy for everyone. The ordering process is simple; just place the order, provide instructions (if you want to), and select the deadline.
Scribbr will assign one of their professionals to work on your document based on the content type and topic, and all you have to do is wait until it’s done.
After the initial editing/proofreading tasks have been completed, you will receive feedback from the editor that’s worked on your project, detailing what has been changed and how the document can be further improved.
Scribbr allows you to submit revisions; if you aren’t completely satisfied with how the first result turned out, use the feedback provided by your editor to fine-tune the document and add finishing touches.
- Covers theses, papers, manuscripts, and other types of documents
- Language-based typo proofreading
- Content restructuring
- Clarity rewriting services
- Average turnaround of 24 hours
Scribbr offers its services starting at a rate of $.0017 per word. The pricing varies depending on the turnaround time you choose as well as the level of proofreading you require.
- Scribbr is among the cheaper online proofreading services.
- Highly qualified proofreaders
- Able to proofread PhD or MBA documents
- Add-ons such as structure and clarity checks
- More focus on academic papers, not so much business proofreading
- There is a $25 setup fee
Who Is This For?
Scribbr is great if you’re in college or university and need a professional to proofread your document for you. Although there is a setup fee and their pricing can get expensive if you need all the add-ons, this service provides the best results for helping you create the best academic papers possible.
Wordvice is an innovative proofreading & editing service that offers quite a few unique benefits to its clients. First of all, the Wordvice staff are considered some of the most seasoned veterans of their craft.
Secondly, Wordvice allows you to “buy” their services in two ways. You can hire the company to create a project and proofread/edit your documents (the traditional way), or you can purchase Wordvice Points and use them whenever you want.
Wordvice points are quite convenient, as you can use them to streamline any order, whether it be for your company, yourself, or some of your friends.
As for the types of services Wordvice offers, this company covers business editing, proofreading & editing for writers, premium admissions editing, assignment editing & proofreading, academic editing, and more.
- Academic editing
- Covers scholarship & application essays, CVs, resumes, recommendation letters, and more
- Business content editing & proofreading
- Wordvice Points System
- On-page quote calculator
Wordvice charges differently depending on what type of service you want to use. The other main factor is the word count. You can use its on-page quote calculator for free to figure out the price for any specific document.
- The editors are vetted and know exactly what they are doing
- Wordvice has completed thousands upon thousands of orders
- The ordering process is beyond simple
- The cost per word is on the higher end
- I should point out that the Wordvice Points system is remarkably convenient, but the bundles (with 5-10% discounts) are mainly designed to help medium and large-size companies since they’re very expensive
Who Is This For?
Wordvice is awesome for people that are frequently in need of proofreading services. If your business is daily generating 5-6 articles or documents that you want to get checked as soon as possible, I’d recommend giving Wordvice a try.
I’ve stumbled across quite a few proofreading services that I could dub “versatile” without batting an eye. That being said, Scribendi stands at the top of the pile, covering virtually all possible topics, categories, and types of documents.
In terms of ESL services, Scribendi offers dissertation, thesis, proposal, and personal editing & proofreading services; a variety of academic-level proofreading services is also available, just like a range of unique products designed to help students proofread and spruce their essays and admissions.
For authors, Scribendi presents an eclectic menu comprised of book critique, editing, and proofreading services, complemented by script editing and query package creation services.
What truly separates Scribendi from the majority of online proofreading services is that this company leverages sophisticated AI technology to automate the proofreading process.
A smart app instantly checks for even the most advanced typos, grammatical mistakes, and other potential issues in any given document. You can try Scribendi’s AI for free on its website.
- AI-powered Grammar Checker tool
- Academic & dissertation editing and proofreading
- Book editing, proofreading, and critique services
- Script editing and query
- Business & website proofreading and editing
- Blog Editing
- Essay and admissions essay proofreading and editing
Scribendi uses the same pricing model as most companies in this review. They base the price on the word count and turnaround time. The pricing does change over based on the type of document you need proofread.
- Fast turnaround time
- Versatile pricing based on what you need
- An eclectic amount of services
- Been in operation since 1997
- The website is a bit confusing to navigate due to so many services
- Doesn’t provide an easy-to-order experience like other platforms.
Who Is This For?
Scribendi is perfect for all kinds of users. Regardless of whether you’re a student, the owner of a large company, or an aspiring author, Scribendi’s AI proofreading tools will ensure your documents and content are as grammatically correct as they possibly can be.
Proofreading Pal is one of the fastest proofreading services in the market. With the lowest turnaround time of 30-60 minutes, you’ll practically receive your papers right after you email them.
Proofreading pals aren’t the quickest because they rush through their work. This is a relatively new company that entered a fairly crowded market, so they employed some of the best and most experienced content experts to cut through the competition.
The firm offers a fairly eclectic catalog, which comprises business proofreading, resume proofreading, book proofreading, essay proofreading, and a range of other services.
- From 30-minute to 7-day turnaround time
- Business proofreading and editing services
- Academic proofreading
- Thesis, dissertation, and other academic-level proofreading services
- Book proofreading
Proofreading Pal charges per word count and turnaround time. The shorter the deadline and the larger the document, the higher the fee is. Since the pricing is custom, you can get a quote by using ProofreadingPal’s built-in instant quote checker.
- Absurdly low turnaround time
- Can be used for a variety of purposes including students, authors, businesses, etc
- Wide range of turnaround times
- 4.8/5 star rating on Trustpilot
- Pricing isn’t super clear
- Some turnaround times are only available during specific times of the weekdays
Who Is This For?
Proofreading Pal is pretty great for everyone, but it’s best for people that want batches of small documents edited and proofread in as few as 30 minutes. If you’re on a time crunch and aren’t worried about paying a little extra, give Proofreading Pal a shot.
Boasting a team of UK and US experts with thousands of completed orders under their belts, CambridgeProofreading is capable of delivering consistent, top-quality proofreading services.
This website covers a full spectrum of proofreading services, featuring products such as dissertation proofreading, thesis proofreading, journal manuscript proofreading, CV & resume proofreading, job application proofreading, and more.
What really stood out to me was that Cambridge is one of the few online services that have divulged their proofreading method in meticulous detail. Not only did they showcase some of their finest work on their websites, but they’ve also explained exactly how they approach proofreading and content editing.
- Academic dissertation and thesis proofreading
- Journal manuscript and essay proofreading
- Admission and SOP paper proofreading
- CV, resume, and job application proofreading
- A team comprised of US and UK editors
- Over 300 writing professionals
Cambridge Proofreading uses a custom pricing model. You can use the built-in quote widget to see the price for your order. As a test, I entered 1,000 words, and the pricing to get it done by one editor in 24 hours was $28.90.
- You can choose to have your work reviewed by one or two editors
- Over 300 editing professionals
- Wide range of subject matter experience
- The only thing I didn’t particularly like is that this service is a bit pricey
Who Is This For?
Cambridge Proofreading is an excellent choice for people that don’t want to settle for less than the superior quality of proofreading services. They may be a bit more expensive than average, but they’re well worth the buck.
If you’ve read through the article and feel that there aren’t too many differences between the leading proofreading companies, I don’t blame you.
It’s very hard to make a distinction between good and the best proofreading services out there.
In my opinion, the best service covers all topics and themes; if real, experienced professionals are working for a company, they will be able to deliver quality work regardless of how complex or difficult the assignment is. The pricing, on another hand, usually reflects the quality of proofreading services, but there are a few exceptions.